Food Storage 101

Saturday, August 9, 2008

I am one of those people who just does not understand food storage.  I am absolutely clueless about ALL of it.  I used to think the Bishop's Storehouse and the Cannery were the same thing (don't laugh).  I do, however, completely understand the need for food storage.  So you can see my dilemma. 


I know food storage is a common topic in church and many of you may be wondering why I am so lost with this plethora of information at my fingertips.  Think of it like this: if you were trying to explain quantum physics to the average person, no matter how dummy down you make it, if someone doesn't understand the basics, they are not going to get it.  I wonder if those ladies in Relief Society who talk about freeze-dried sour cream flakes think I have the vaguest idea about what that means, how it relates, or why I would want them.  Do they assume everyone learns the "basics of canning" as a child, helping their moms?  Because that's never something my mom did with me.

So, I have set out on a quest to educate myself (and, hopefully my children) on what we need to do to be prepared.  I am learning so many things and I thought I would post regular blogs about the steps I have made. This way anyone else out there who needs a "Food Storage for Idiots" book can learn something, too.  (If you've had any epiphanies about the BASICS of food storage I would love to hear your comments)

Here is what I know so far:
  1. The Cannery is not the Bishop's Storehouse.  The Cannery provides food supplies for the Bishop's Storehouse.  The Cannery can also be used by individuals to create their personal food storage.  (I do not know what a cannery looks like or what is in one)
  2. If you don't live in Utah you may not have a cannery near your home.  For the location of your nearest cannery click here
  3. Many stakes purchase canning machines for their members to "check out" like a library system (I don't know how a canning machine works or exactly what you can do with it)
  4. The LDS website has a calculator that will tell you how much grain and legumes you need to store depending on your family size.  It also mentions that you will need to store other things like sugar, but it doesn't tell you how much. (Other things, very vague, can I get a list of all the other things
  5. If you have the money ($6,000), you can buy a pre-made, all-the-work-done-for-you, color-coded, complete family-of-five food storage for a year
The questions I hope to answer next:
  1. What does a Cannery look like
  2. How does a canning machine work
  3. Is the Cannery the same as the Home Storage Center
  4. What are the other things I need to store 
websites I have found to be helpful: 
Buy food storage and organizer online  www.shelfreliance.com
Much more detailed food calculator lds.about.com

1 comments:

Hannah said...

Great information about food storage.

I found your blog when I was researching "food storage". Here's another site that can hopefully help you out - it's a step-by-step guide to food storage and emergency prep. We have recipes, ideas, How-to's, etc. I hope it can help you out!

http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

Good luck!
Hannah