Soy Sauce Substitute

Friday, August 29, 2008

For Melissa and her great kids
I taste-tested several different recipes I found on the internet. The recipes I found were created in an attempt to cut the high sodium content out (very admirable). This recipe was the best tasting; believe me, I tried four and some of them were pretty bad. However, none that I tried really tasted like soy sauce. Soy sauce is basically salty so, let's face it, if you remove the salt you no longer have soy sauce. The beautiful thing is, if you are not trying to cut the salt just the allergens (like soy or wheat) you can add the salt back in and get a really good non-soy sauce! If you are going to do this, add Kosher salt in 1/4 tsp increments and taste-test. By the time I got to 1/2 tsp it was plenty salty for my taste.

Serves:
1 cups
Start to Finish:
15 minutes
Recipe By:
Allrecipes

Ingredients


4 TBSP beef bouillon
1 1/2 TBSP water
4 tsp balsamic vinegar You can substitute apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar has a more dynamic flavor for this recipe
2 tsp dark molasses
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp white pepper You can use black pepper, white pepper is simply more aromatic
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Clean glass jar and lid (I used an old spaghetti sauce jar, because that is what I had on hand. But if you get a soy sauce jar it will have the right kind of spout on it)

Directions

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the beef bouillon, balsamic vinegar, molasses, ginger, white pepper, garlic powder and water.
2. Boil gently until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
3. Pour into jar and refrigerate
4. Shake well before using, can store in refrigerator indefinitely








Sodium Information for Comparison
Kikkoman Soy Sauce --------------------------------------------------------920mg/TBSP
Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce -----------------------------------------575mg/TBSP
Soy Sauce Substitute Recipe ------------------------------------------------332mg/TBSP
Soy Sauce Substitute Recipe plus 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt --------------------392mg/TBSP

1 comments:

Melissa said...

You are awesome. Thank you so much for doing my research for me. I will let you know how it goes when I try this. But is always good to know someone who has tried it, before I go through the effort to.