Cauldron Soup

Thursday, October 16, 2008

OK, I admit it, this is regular soup with a fun name served in a black cauldron. But split pea soup is a perfect Halloween soup because it already is green and lumpy. Exactly how I imagine a witch's brew. In my family, we love to have this soup on a cold day, especially because you make it in the crock pot and your home will be filled with warm, delicious smells all day. Plus, it's loaded with vegetables, which is a nice change after all that Halloween candy going around.

Serves:
4
Start to Finish: slow-cooker recipe
Recipe By: Wholefoods Market

Ingredients:


1 (16-oz) package dried green split peas, rinsed
1 ham hocks or 1 cup diced ham
1 cup sliced baby carrots
1 cup chopped yellow onion (approx. 1/2 onion)
2 ribs celery, chopped (Chop these up really small. Celery doesn't turn to mush in a crock pot quite like carrots or peas so you will have big chucks if you leave them large.)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth

Directions:

1. Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given, adding the broth last.
2. Do not stir ingredients.
3. Cover and cook on high 4—5 hours or on low 8—10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off the bone. (My slow cooker is tiny so every recipe I have ever made in it cooks in about half the time. This recipe only took me 4 hours on low. Go figure.)
4. Serve with warm rolls ... Mmm Mmmm

1 comments:

Virginia St. John said...

Hi my sweet Amber,
I really like your recipie's, and the way you explain them. I like the pictures of each step also. You are a great little cook.
Brooks and Kenneth got here yesterday and I saw them at Evan's football game last night. They are leaving Sunday to go back to Utah.
It's your mom's birthday today. We are going to their house on Sunday for lunch. I am taking a potato salad.
I flew down to my sister's house in Texas Oct. 1st. She and I then drove to Branson and had such a good time. Branson is really fun town. I got home Monday Oct. 13th.
Little Blake jumped off their roof and broke his foot in a couple of places. He is in a lot of pain. He is only five years old, but he thinks he can do anything his brothers can.
We miss you lots and really miss seeing our great grandson. He is such a doll.
Bye for now and have a nice day.
Love,
Grandma St. John