Mummy Dogs

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Surprisingly delicious! I am not a fan of hotdogs but of course my boys love them so these had to be in our line-up of Halloween lunches. When I made them the first time I only made enough for the boys and my husband, thinking I would probably enjoy eating something else more. But after my husband asked for seconds I was interested and I tried one. They were surprisingly delicious. (I have decided it is because they are baked with cheese. Everything is better baked in cheese, right?)  I have since made them again and made enough for me to share in the lunchtime fun, too.

Serves: 5 adults (2 hot dogs each) or 10 kids (1 hot dog each)
Start-to-Finish: 50 minutes
Recipe By: Pillsbury

Ingredients:

1 (8-oz) can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or refrigerated seamless dough sheet
2 1/2 slices American cheese, quartered
10 hot dogs
Cooking spray
Mustard and ketchup, if desired

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. If using crescent rolls: Unroll dough, separate at perforations, creating 4 rectangles, and press perforations to seal. If using dough sheet: Unroll dough, cut into 4 rectangles.
3. With knife or kitchen shears, cut dough into long, thin strips. (The thinner you can make the strips, the better your mummy looks when it is cooked.)
4. Slice cheese slices into quarters. (1/2 slice cheese, cut in half. You want them about the same dimensions as your hotdogs.)
5. Wrap thin strips of dough around each hot dog and 1/4 slice of cheese to look like "bandages," stretching dough slightly to completely cover hot dog.
6. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate "bandages" so hot dog shows through for "face."
7. On ungreased large cookie sheet, place wrapped hot dogs (cheese side down).
8. Spray dough lightly with cooking spray.
9. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are hot.
10. To make an orange dipping sauce; combine equal part ketchup and mustard, mix well.
11. Serve mummy dogs with orange dipping sauce.

0 comments: